At the end of July 1946 it was declared that Hemel Hempstead was to be designated a New Town under the New Towns Act. The population was to be increased from 20,000 to 60,000.
The foundation stone for the first house was laid by the Mayor and Bailiff of Hemel Hempstead, Councillor Selden, on 23 April 1949. However, it was nearly 10 months before the first houses were ready for occupation. The first occupation was in February 1950 when the keys of four houses in Homefield Road were presented to bricklayers working on the estate.